‘Alien: Covenant’ Just Barely Beats ‘Guardians’ At The Weekend Box Office

LOS ANGELES (Variety.com) – As this weekend approached, the question lingered if ?Alien: Covenant? would be able to unseat ?Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? from the top spot at the domestic box office.

Now, we have an answer. As of Sunday morning, ?Covenant,? from 20th Century Fox and Scott Free Productions, looks to be the winner with a three-day estimate of $36 million (27.6 million pounds) from 3,761 locations. That?s just above Disney?s ?Guardians? sequel which is raking in an additional $35.3 million from 4,347 spots. The super sequel is seeing only a 46% drop from last weekend, and its total domestic earnings now exceed $300 million.

While ?Alien? may have won, the film?s price tag in the $100 million range and marketing costs detract from the victory. The sixth installment in the Alien franchise (not counting the two Alien vs. Predator films) was directed by Ridley Scott and stars Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, and Danny McBride. It holds a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is in line with 2012?s ?Prometheus.? Although it came in already having made $42 million overseas and $36 million was enough to land in the top slot, ?Alien? grossed less during its first weekend in the U.S. than ?Prometheus? did in 2012 ($51 million). Its final domestic earnings also came in below earlier projections, which pegged the horror flick at least $40 million.

Fox?s president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson chalked the lower totals compared with ?Prometheus? to the ?normal course of business.? He added that ?Alien: Covenant? gives fans of the franchise since the 1979 original the chance to share with the younger generation (60% of the opening weekend audience was in the 18-34 demo). ?Teenagers likely haven?t seen ?Alien,?? he said, ?This movie creates a generational bond.?

While the ?Alien? franchise is still able to generate decent interest, the same cannot be said for Fox?s other release this weekend, ?Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul.? The fourth live-action movie based on Jeff Kinney?s middle school-centric book series opened to $7.2 million from 3,157 locations. David Bowers, who directed movies two and three, returned to the helm nearly five years after the last iteration, and anointed a new titular wimp in Jason Drucker.

The only other major release of the weekend was ?Everything, Everything,? from Warner Bros. and MGM. The sick-lit adaptation will earn $12 million by the end of the weekend from 2,801 locations. That?s enough to land in the top three. ?Hunger Games? standout Amandla Stenberg stars as a girl with an autoimmune disease that keeps her locked up indoors. Nick Robinson plays her love interest named Olly. ?Everything, Everything? earned the highest CinemaScore of the new released (an A- overall). 82% of its audience was female, and 74% were under 25 years old.

?Along with our partners, MGM, we?re thrilled that we hit our key demo,? commented Jeff Goldstein, domestic distribution chief at Warner Bros.

Amy Schumer?s ?Snatched,? also from Fox, will see an additional $7.6 million in earnings from 3,511 theaters, putting it in the fourth slot, ahead of ?Wimpy Kid.? Also in its second weekend, ?King Arthur: Legend of the Sword? continues to flop miserably with a weekend total of less than $7 million.

With Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, the overall domestic summer box office is ten percentage points lower than it was at this time last year. That means all eyes are fixed on a duo of splashy summer releases ? Disney?s ?Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales? and Paramount?s ?Baywatch? ? to hopefully make up some ground.

?The dominance at this point by Disney and Marvel?s early summer entry ?Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? is impressive having earned more than all the other films combined,? said Paul Degarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore, who noted that ?Captain America: Civil War? accounted for more than half of the summer take at this point last year. ?However, a slow start does not portend a slow overall summer as many have predicted,? he added, ?though if the ebb and flow of this season?s fortunes thus far is any indication we may have to buckle up for a pretty bumpy ride.?

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Boy Asks Governor For Forgiveness After Taking A Pen And Nut From Capitol

An act that could be seen as the smallest of thefts has led to a big-hearted apology from a child in Oregon.

A fourth-grader named Samuel recently wrote to Oregon?s governor, apologizing to her ?and the people? for swiping a pen and a single hazelnut from the state Capitol last month.

In the handwritten letter Gov. Kate Brown (D) shared on Thursday, Samuel says he took some things while touring the Capitol on April 19.

“It was wrong for me to take them. I?m very sorry,? he wrote. ?I hope you and the people of Oregon can forgive me.?

He enclosed the pen and a dollar bill, which he said could be used ?to replace the hazelnut.?

In her response to the boy, Brown declared that all is forgiven ? and even encouraged him to ?come back soon!? She also said she was sending him another pen, and that she hoped it would ?be an adequate memento of your visit to at the Capitol.?

type=type=RelatedArticlesblockTitle=Related Coverage articlesList=58dbd6bbe4b07f61a2bb8a7a,55a3eac7e4b0ecec71bc7e6f,56a247f7e4b0d8cc1099b8b2,56f0f1e1e4b03a640a6b7beb

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Jeb Bush Delivers Huge ‘Told You So’ About ‘Chaos President’ Donald Trump

Jeb Bush just reminded everyone that he knew the score.

On Friday, the former GOP presidential candidate publicly recalled his earlier warning to voters over a possible Donald Trump presidency.

?When I ran for office, I said he is a chaos candidate and would be a chaos president,? Bush told the annual SALT hedge fund conference in Las Vegas, reports CNN. ?Unfortunately, so far chaos organizes the presidency right now.?

Bush made his initial ?chaos? comment during a Republican primary debate in December 2015, in which he also said Trump was ?great at one-liners.?

In Vegas, the former Florida Gov. also suggested that Trump?s administration was ?living in the tyranny of the moment? rather than pursuing and carrying out a fixed and clear agenda, reports the network.

And Bush urged Trump to stop tweeting, claiming that the president?s posts may give America?s adversaries critical insider knowledge of the administration.

type=type=RelatedArticlesblockTitle=Related Coverage articlesList=591fda91e4b034684b0c9e2a,591febb2e4b094cdba5456d0,591ffe3ee4b094cdba545c79,591ffab7e4b034684b0ca548,591ff108e4b034684b0ca2b8

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

16 Utterly Insulting Things Wedding Guests Have Said To The Bride

On an occasion as momentous as the wedding day, the last thing the newlyweds need is to receive rude, hurtful and otherwise unnecessary comments from their guests.

But that didn?t stop some family and friends from speaking their minds anyway. Below, 16 insulting remarks brides heard from their guests on the big day via the secret-sharing app Whisper

type=type=RelatedArticlesblockTitle=Related… articlesList=56afb921e4b09214b14f1c1b,5910fc8fe4b0e7021e9a86b5,5734b7fae4b08f96c18268e3

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Basquiat Painting Sells for Historic $110.5 Million At Sotheby’s Auction

A painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat just sold for the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by an American artist: a whopping $110.5 million.

The 72-by-68-inch acrylic and oil stick ?Untitled? painting of a skull by the late one-time graffiti artist was the subject of 10 minutes of intense bidding at a New York Sotheby?s auction Thursday night. The opening bid of $57 million drew gasps from the audience, Bloomberg reported. Sotheby?s had estimated it would sell for at least $60 million.

It was the sixth highest amount ever paid at auction for any work of art, putting Basquiat in the rarified company of Pablo Picasso. Only ten works have sold for more than $100 million.

It was purchased by Japanese e-commerce billionaire and art collector Yusaku Maezawa. He announced in an Instagram post standing next to the work that he had ?just won this masterpiece.?

?When I first encountered this painting, I was struck with so much excitement and gratitude for my love of art,? he added. ?I want to share that experience with as many people as possible.?

The painting was purchased in 1984 for $19,000 by collectors Jerry and Emily Spiegel when Basquiat was virtually unknown and was never publicly exhibited. Basquiat died of a heroin overdose in 1988 at the age of 27 after painting for just seven years. He created the skull in 1982. It?s considered one of his most important works still in private hands.

Maezawa plans to loan the work to institutions around the world before making it one of the centerpieces of a museum he has created in his hometown of Chiba, Japan.

Maezawa last year bought another 1982 Basquiat painting of a devil at a Christie?s auction for $57.3 million, which was then the most ever paid for a work by the artist.

The Basquiat was part of a Sothby?s Contemporary Art Evening Auction of American post war paintings that also featured works by Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol and Robert Rauschenberg, among other artists.

type=type=RelatedArticlesblockTitle=Related Coverage articlesList=58b5e789e4b0780bac2df322

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Recruitment Ad: Protect Our Nation And Trump’s Feelings In The Coast Guard

If you want a fulfilling career that takes you places and protects this great nation ? as well as the very brittle feelings of our president ? then the U.S. Coast Guard may be for you! 

Funny Or Die presents a Coast Guard recruitment ad starring our very own delicate snowflake President Trump, following his comments at a recent commencement address.

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Car Runs Down More Than A Dozen Pedestrians In Times Square, Killing 1

NEW YORK CITY ? A vehicle barreled into pedestrians on a New York City sidewalk Thursday, leaving at least one person dead and at least 12 others injured, according the New York City Fire Department.

Pictures of the aftermath were posted by social media users, which showed a car spewing smoke as first responders report to the scene. (Some of the photos shown below may be disturbing to some readers.)

Tiffany Wong, 23, was across the street from the carnage when the crash occurred.

?It was unreal, I?m still trying to process,? Wong told HuffPost. ?I saw the car go down the sidewalk across from me, then it was smoking and on fire. I saw one woman who was hit and on the ground. And that was after he hit a bunch of others.?

Wong said she saw a man inside the vehicle crawl out and try to run away. Other pedestrians stopped him from fleeing, she said.

Witnesses said there was panic immediately following the crash. Some people fled the scene, while others rushed to get police help. Within 20 minutes, officers had secured the Square.

Tyrone Lopez, 37, said the driver was flying up the street at upwards of ?70 miles per hour? and that he kept hitting pedestrians as he careened from 42nd street up to 45th street.

?I saw one lady he hit ? he dragged her up a half a block before she stopped at the corner, and he kept going up the street hitting everything on the way.?

The New York City Police Department and first responders are on the scene of a still active investigation. Police and fire officials have blocked off the street three blocks in every direction from the incident. The NYPD did not immediately return a request for comment.

See more photos of the incident below.

This is a developing story.

– This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.